Reporting Your Name Change

Pursuant to Title 16, California Code of Regulations, Section 1398.6, applicants and licensees are required to report in writing to the PTBC each name change no later than thirty (30) calendar days from the date the change occurred.

How to Report Your Name Change

Submit a Request for Name Change online.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is there a fee to change my name?

    No fee is required to change your name.  However, if you would like your new name displayed on your wallet license, you will need to request a pay for a duplicate license. You can request a duplicate license online as well.

  • What documentation is required to change my name?

  • You must submit 1) a current government issued photographic identification (e.g., driver license, alien registration, passport, etc. and 2) one of the following legal documents as proof of name change:

    1. Certified court order
    2. Marriage certificate
    3. Dissolution of marriage (Divorce)
  • What is the processing time for name changes?

    Name changes are processed within one week of all required documentation being received.