Do I Have a Valid Complaint?

If you have concerns regarding a physical therapist, physical therapist assistant and/or a non licensed practitioner practicing physical therapy, you may contact the Consumer Protection Services Program or file a formal complaint with the PTBC. Except for special circumstances, complaints must be in writing. The PTBC is responsible for investigating complaints and disciplining physical therapists and physical therapist assistants should a violation of the Physical Therapy Practice Act be determined.

Consumers can contact the PTBC for assistance:

California Toll Free Line: 1-800-832-2251
Phone: (916) 561-8200 / Fax (916) 263-2560
Email the Consumer Protection Services Program:

Notice: Except for the name of the physical therapist/physical therapist assistant, all information requested is voluntary, but failure to provide the requested information may delay or prevent the investigation of your complaint. The information on the complaint form will be used in part to determine whether a violation of state law or regulation has occurred. If a violation is substantiated, the information may be transmitted to other government agencies, including the Attorney General's Office.

Consumer Complaint Form

Consumer Complaint Form Online

Authorization of Patient Health Information

IMPORTANT: The PTBC may ask the complainant to sign a medical records release form (Authorization of Patient Health Information) to obtain the medical records. The PTBC will request the medical records from the providing physical therapist and possibly from the complainant's physician, hospital or other source to investigate the complaint. The patient or other authorized person must sign the Authorization of Patient Health Information form. If the patient is unable to sign the release, the form may be signed by: 1) the next of kin, if the patient is deceased, 2) the parent of a minor child, or 3) the person named by the patient in a signed "Power of Attorney" granting the person authority to make medical decisions for the patient. Your complaint may be closed without further review for failure to provide the medical release.

Mail the Complaint Form to:

Physical Therapy Board of California
Consumer Protection Services Program
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 2600
Sacramento, CA 95815

Email the Consumer Protection Program: